Saturday, June 13, 2009

Back to Reality

Somerville, Mass - I am done. Three months and three continents later, I am back in the pink house. Back to reality, as they say.
Reality is not so bad, I decided. Here are some highlights from the pink house:

1 - As might be expected, the yard was a mini-jungle when we returned. I was really looking forward to gettng out there and getting my hands dirty. I was dreaming about it (literally). After one long day of weeding and trimming, the garden is actually looking quite lovely. Gotta love those perennials!
2 - We hung our new Polish artwork in a pominent place in the living room, and it looks lovely too! The new addition to the Eastern European collection is a Rodzinsky, ladies and gentlemen. We made the acqaintance of the artist at an exhibit opening in Krakow and now we are proud owners of Murek (translation: little wall).
3 - I resumed my yoga practice and it feels fabulous - sore muscles and all. Have I mentioned how much I love Karma yoga studio in Cambridge?
4 - Three days after we arrived home, the mailman delivered the boxes that I sent from Africa. Very impressive timing, Mr Postman. The boxes contain bike gear, camping gear and - most importantly - my only pair of bike cleats. I was not sure how long I would have to wait before I could take the Klein Q out for a spin, but the answer is I don't have to wait at all.

5 - On the way home, we bought some Campari at Duty Free and we have started experimenting with recipes for lo spritz - with delightful results. If you recall, the spritz is the cocktail of choice in Venice - pro secco, fizzy water and bitters - and it is delish. Perfect for sipping out on the back terrace. I'm not sure why it took us a year to try this at home.
6 - The food being eaten in the pink house is unbelievable. We didn't really use our kitchen in Krakow, since my job was to review the restaurant scene. Actually, I figured out that I didn't eat home-cooked meals for three months, so now I'm making up for lost time. And my personal chef is rising to the occasion! Grilled steaks with corn on the cob, grilled shrimp over fresh lemon fettucini, grilled salmon with mango salsa and steamed asparagus, bolognese sauce over tri-colored rotini... this is making me hungry. Gotta go.

No comments: