Saturday, January 10, 2009

And They're Off!

Somerville, Mass - Today about 40 cyclers set off on a journey of a lifetime, departing Cairo on the first stage of the Tour d'Afrique. Among these riders are two of my teammates, Scott Kennedy and Sharif Rashedi, who will be riding from Cairo to Khartoum (this first leg is also known as "Pharoah's Delight").
Although the Tour d'Afrique is underway, my section is still several months away. Thank goodness for that. But knowing that my team members are actually on their bikes at this very moment does make it seem like this crazy adventure really is about to become reality.

Many people have asked how the training is going. It's going great! But I have a long way to go. I am currently riding about 100 miles a week. It sounds pretty good, except that in Africa I will be riding up to 100 miles a day! The winter weather does not make it any easier to build up the mileage, although I am enjoying my new trainer, which allows me to ride while watching movies. Today I watched Breaking Away for a little inspiration. This scene got me going...
Meanwhile, I am raising money for the Bicycle Empowerment Network (BEN), an NGO in Windhoek, Namibia. I have already raised more than $1500 - that means I am more than half-way to my fundraising goal. Just before Christmas, I got an email from this guy who works as a volunteer at BEN. He wrote:
"I'm a Canadian volunteer who has been working with BEN Namibia for the last 8 months and am so excited to receive support from someone like you. You're gifts are making a pile of difference."
Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who has already contributed! I am so inspired by the generosity of my friends and family. If you have not already donated to BEN, click here so you too can make a pile of difference!

No comments: