Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Garden Party

Somerville, Mass - These days in the pink house, a lot of excitement is generated by what's happening outside in the backyard. I came home to a garden in full bloom, overflowing with black-eyed Susans, honeysuckle, morning glories, lilies, cosmos, roses and more.

Meanwhile, the chickadees (the state bird of Massachusetts!) have been regular visitors to our bird feeder all summer. We also see blue jays, cardinals, and downy woodpeckers, amongst the many many sparrows. Sometimes when I am supposed to be working, I find myself staring out the window, watching the birds jockying for position at the feeder. Yesterday I glanced up to see a pair of gold finches fluttering about the cosmos! For years we have tried luring the finches with thistle, but they paid no attention to the special finch feeder. Only in August, when the cosmos are in full bloom, do the finches show up to munch on their seeds.

A few days ago, we went out in the evening to fire up the grill. Going out the back door, we startled a skunk family, who hustled across the yard and into the brush. Two little guys, sniffing around the yard. I thought that was the end of it. But a few hours later, while we were eating dinner outside, they scooted back across the yard and under the porch! We very quietly and very quickly went inside. But the next morning I peeked under there and I could see that somebody had tunneled underneath the house. I think the skunk family has some sort of luxury suite underneath our pantry!

Who knew there was so much wildlife in Somerville? It's only a little plot of land, but it's like Animal Kingdom out there.

No comments: