Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 8: Ghanzi, Botswana to Namib Border

Botswana-Namibian border - Today was the longest day ever. I don't mean it was the longest distance I have ever ridden. I already did that last week. Twice. But today was not only the longest distance I have ever ridden - but also the longest distance I will ever ride again. In fact, it was the longest distance in the entirety of the Tour d'Afrique: 207km. That's 129 miles if anybody is counting.

There was a palpable excitement in the camp for the extra long day. Breakfast was served early so we could get on the road before sunrise. It was really amazing to watch the sun come up over the desert as we pedalled. I rode with my girls - Sonia, Isabelle and Viv - but our pelaton grew throughout the day, which was great. The more people, the more power to the pelaton.

We slogged it out for almost 10 hours. And at the end of the day, we crossed into Namibia. Our camp was just over the border, and other riders were there to cheer us as we entered camp. 

 

No comments: