Thursday, April 2, 2009

Off to Africa!

Somerville, Mass - In about six hours, I will be getting on an airplane and flying off to Africa. Six hours! I can't believe that this moment has finally arrived. I feel like I have been preparing for this for AGES (and pedaling for ages) and yet somehow it went by so fast. Isn't that always the way it works?
As you might imagine, these last few weeks were more than hectic. Thank you for noticing that I have not been posting as often as usual - it's nice to be missed, Mom! Aside from riding my bike 3-5 hours a day, I was also finishing not one but two manuscripts about Boston - the last of which I turned in at 2:30 this morning!
Yes, it wouldn't be a real trip without at least one all-nighter leading up to it.
But the moment is now. My bike has been fitted with extra water bottles and new "flat-proof" tires. My handy new handlebar camera bag gives me easy access for when I am whizzing past the elephants and I want to get a photo.
Now my baby Bianchi is all packed up in a giant box in the back of my car. She and I have had a love-hate relationship over the last few months, but we have come a lont way. And I know I can trust her to carry me across Africa - as long as my knees hold up!
My bags are packed with extra tubes and energy bars and enough chamois shorts to make Lance Armstrong jealous. I even practiced setting up my tent. Jerry and I ate left-over lasagna for lunch in the living room - inside the tent. Then I took it down.
Jerry and I are going to spend 10 days on safari in Botswana before I start riding. This is a lifelong dream for both of us. We'll spend three days at a lodge in the Okavango Delta and four days camping in Chobe National Park, before we finish up at Victoria Falls. And that's where I get on my bike. (At least it sounds like I will be riding downhill to start.)
Thank you so much to everyone who has shown me support over the past few months. I am so grateful to the Charles River Wheelmen and the small group of biking maniacs who have kept me company all winter long. All I had to do was show up, and somebody (usually Chris!) would lead me around the rolling hills of Boston's beautiful western suburbs. I got free nutrition counseling,  tire changing and some tale telling.
Most importantly, I had the comfort of being surrounded by cyclists who think it's perfectly normal to ride a bike across a continent. Many of them have already done it themselves.
And I cannot talk enough about the generosity of friends and family (and a few strangers!) who have donated almost $4000 to the Bicycle Empowerment Network. It feels really good to know that so many people are supporting me. This show of support means so much to me. It's like having my own personal cheering section - rooting me on and sending good vibes - as I pedal across the miles.
This chunk of change also gives so many people access to transportation, health care, education and income opportunities. This is far more than I expected to raise and I am really looking forward to meeting the BEN volunteers and beneficiaries when I sail into Windhoek at the end of 11 days on my bike!
Incidentally, the BEN-sponsored bicycle team is going to be riding with us across Namibia. Or more accurately, in front of us.
I will end with one final plug for BEN. It's not too late to donate!
On that note, I'm off to Africa...


 

 
 

No comments: