Friday, May 8, 2009

The Sundowner

Brisbane, Queensland - Train travel is so civilized. Sure, it took me 20 hours to get from Airlie Beach to Brisbane, but they were 20 happy hours.

I boarded the Sunlander in Proserpine around 9pm. The beds were already made up in my berth, so I read for a while but was soon lulled to sleep by the gentle rhythms of the train. When I awoke, the sun was up and we were whizzing along between Rockhampton and Gladstone - already halfway there.

While I enjoyed breakfast in the dining car, the beds were converted into seats, so we were ready to start the day upon return to the cabin.

I had some business to take care of so I spent most of the day working. Mind you, these were the best working conditions that I have had all week (much quieter and more comfortable than the common room at the hostel in Airlie Beach!) The scenery floating by was quite wonderful - farmland planted with pineapples, tomatoes and macadamia trees; rolling hills covered with brush; and vast plains dotted with rocky outposts. Arrival in Brisbane was a half-hour early!

From Brisbane I am flying to Krakow (with three stops on the way!) for the next leg of my intercontinental journey. I only wish I could take the train there... Starting tomorrow, I am looking at about 30 hours in airplanes and airports, which somehow are not nearly so civilized.

No comments: