Saturday, May 9, 2009

Some Surprises about Oz

Brisbane, Queensland - A few observations as I depart from Oz...

1 - People really do say "G'day Mate"

2 - Aussies are amazingly like Americans. I don't know why I had the impression that Australia was sophisticated. Seriously, my well-educated and well-traveled colleagues in Melbourne are not really representative of the population at large. Outside the LP office, most people I met were farmers, truck drivers and construction workers. Most had never left the island. Like America, Australia is so big that the locals don't feel the need to leave. Plus it is so far away that they often don't have the means.

3 - A vegemite sandwhich tastes kind of like beer on bread.

4 - I didn't see any kangaroos or koalas, but I did see kookaburras! And I heard them too. Laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra, gay your life must be.

(Not my video but you get the idea.)

No comments: