Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Let's go to the video clip

Somerville, Massachusetts - A few people have asked whatever became of my attempt at TV stardom, so here is an update...

In case you missed the background on this story, a few months back, I was invited to audition for the role of travel host for the new Lonely Planet TV show. I was in Italy at the time, and I frantically put together a video clip about Carnival. In retrospect, I realize it was not the most original idea for a show that is supposed to be about getting off the beaten track. But I was short on time and I was new to the country, so I was working with pretty limited resources. And the video did not come out half-bad, if I do say so myself. If you have not yet seen that creative masterpiece, you can do so here. (And check out my new page on Italy while you are at it!)

It did not take long for Lonely Planet to decide that I am not the travel host they are looking for. The "new faces of Lonely Planet" are two of my colleagues, and you can see their video clips here:

John Vlahides

Dominic Bonuccelli

It's pretty clear from these successful clips that my perky presentation style was not exactly what LP had in mind for their new show. Indeed, the folks at LP TV announced that "we still haven't found the right girls to join John and Dom on the road." So it's not that I was beat out by some exceedingly talented and attractive women; they just didn't like me. Boo.

Anyway, it was my very first foray into the TV world, and I have to admit that I got a little charge out of standing in front of the camera. And somebody must have liked my clip, because I did get a follow-up nibble. LP has hired me to make a short video about my favorite places in Moscow while I am there next month. If all goes well, my own version of the Battleship Potemkin will be posted on the Lonely Planet website. Stay tuned.

No comments: