Saturday, September 5, 2009

Travel Blog Redefined

Somerville, Mass -  I know, I know, I know. I know this is supposed to be a travel blog. But here I am with my domestic bliss, writing ice cream recipes and film reviews. What gives...?

So, um, I have a little confession to make. The truth is that I'm not planning on doing any traveling for the next four months (!) Holy smokes, I have to write that again so that it sinks in... I'm going to be sitting tight right here in the pink house until the end of the year.

And as much as I might pretend that I'm traveling by posting about places around Boston, that's really just for fun, because I'm not working on any guidebooks until next year either. None. Zero. Zilch. (Cue jumping for joy.)

I needed a little break from the guidebook gig, so here it is: four glorious months with nothing to do except make ice cream and go to the movies.

Just kidding. Here are a few of the ways I will be spending my time this fall:

Brushing up on my Portuguese. In anticipation of an upcoming assignment in Brazil, I will be switching languages once again. Soon there will be Portuguese swirling around with the Italian and Polish. Actually, the Portuguese will probably push the Polish right out of my brain. And let's face it, the Italian is long gone. Oh well, the important thing is that I'm going to Brazil this winter and that I'm going to be able to talk to people while I'm there. Tudo bem.

Attending a Vipassana meditation retreat. Inspired by Elizabeth Gilbert and encouraged by a few experienced friends, I signed up for a 10-day retreat at the Dhamma Dhara retreat center. I will be spending 10 days in "Noble Silence". That means no talking - I can handle that - but it also means no reading, no writing (I know you will miss me), no music, no nothing. Just meditating and listening to your breath. I'm not really expecting a dramatic personal transformation, although some people claim it is a life-changing experience. That said, I am curious about how this age-old technique will allow me to "see things as they really are", which is what Vipassana means. Considering it is really a process of self-observation, it could get ugly.

Writing a book proposal. There, I said it. I am using this little sabbatical to write a proposal for a brillian book idea that I have been mulling over for the past year. No, it's not a guidebook. I have no idea how to write a book proposal, but I have four months to figure it out. (Any publisher or agents who happen to be reading this, please feel fre to contact me at mara@maravorhees.com.)

Dear readers, do not be alarmed. Just because I'm not going to be traveling, does not mean I won't be blogging. I'm sure I'll have countless entertaining and enlightening thoughts to share with you about above referenced experiences (as well as recipes, movie reviews, etc). Please don't go away!

 

No comments: