Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day 3: Bush Camp to Nata

Nata, Botswana - I had really mixed feelings about the ride today. On the one hand, I was pretty pleased with myself for completing my first century. Now I know I can do it - today's ride of 150-ish km should be a piece of cake! On the other hand, it would be my third day of straight riding, my second long ride in a row. My legs might rebel.

But I stuck to my plan: Slow and Steady. The landscape can be a bit monotonous, since it is so flat. Not that I'm complaining! My knees love flat. But there are not a lot of distractions as you look around.

Every so often, you come across some other riders. Actually, in my case, it's more common that they come across me, as they probably got a later start than I did, but they are riding faster then I am, so they quickly pass me by. Or sometimes we are able to find a compatible pace for a while, which is good for a chat.

I also find that I am able to keep up my pace a lot better when I am cycling with somebody else - as long as I don't have to talk too much. For some reason when I am riding by myself it feels like it consumes more energy and my pace really lags.

I have a lot of admiration for these riders who have been going since Cairo. They are hardcore! The cycling is tough. But besides that, they are sleeping in tents, living in a communal setting and following an extremely rigorous routine. It's takes a lot of mental discipline and human compassion to do that for twelve weeks.

Anyway, the highlight of day three was the elephant sightings. First, we saw a massive carcass at the side of the road. Or should I say we smelled a massive carcass at the side of the road. That thing stank to high heaven. 

We had been warned that there was an elephant watering hole shortly before the lunch truck, and in its vicinity I saw three different elephants who had come down for a drink. After lunch there was another one crossing the road right in front of my. Elephant Highway, indeed! 

No comments: