Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Beet It

Somerville, Mass - Regular readers will know that this year I joined the Food Project CSA, which has resulted in a weekly bounty of vegetable goodness - often in the form of vegetables that I do not know what they are, let alone how to cook them (click here to learn what I did with my Chinese cabbage).
I do not have that problem with beets. I have spent enough time in Russia to appreciate this sweet tuber in all of its crimson-colored glory. In fact, when I return home from Russia, I often suffer from a little bit of beet withdrawal.

I'm happy to report that I am getting plenty of beets in my CSA. Last week I celebrated by making a cold beet soup, or svekolnik (a summertime classic in Russia). Last summer this soup made the list of Top Ten Things I will Miss about Moscow. But I don't have to miss it, because I can make it myself (and you can too!)
  • 1 small onion, julienned

  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed

  • 4-5C veggie or chicken stock

  • 2 carrots, julienned

  • 1/2 lb beets, peeled and julienned

  • 1C tomato juice

  • 4tsp sugar

  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice

  • fresh dill
In a large stockpot, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.  Add stock, carrots and beets, plus salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in tomato juice and sugar and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
Let the soup cool to room temperature, then stir in lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill overnight in the fridge. Garnish with fresh dill. Cool refreshing goodness.
 
Adapted from A Taste of Russia by Darra Goldstein.

No comments: