Friday, August 14, 2009

Witchy Woman

Salem, Mass - Not that I need an excuse to take the ferry up to Salem to visit the superb Peabody Essex Museum. But I had one: a special exhibit on the Golden Age of Dutch Seascapes.
Just like Catherine the Great, I have a special interest in Dutch art, due to a little side project I have brewing. (I'll say no more, but hopefully you'll hear more about this in the future.) The seafaring theme is appropriate not only for my mysterious project, but especially for the PEM, which was founded by the East India Maritime Society, whose member ships were instructed to bring back "natural and artificial curiosities" for the education and enlightenment of the public.
Although the exhibit was excellent, it did not make my list of the day's highlights:
1 - Ferry Ride. The high-speed ferry departs from Long Wharf in Boston and arrives in Salem Harbor less than one hour later. The breezy boat deck offers great views of the Boston Harbor Islands and the North Shore, and a sweet sunset on the way home. Very civilized.
2 - Native American Art. Although we came for the Dutch, we couldn't resist looking around the museum's permanent collections, which are vast and varied. They are arranged geographically, with emphasis on Africa, Asia, Oceana, India and the Americas. What I love is that historic pieces - including folk art and handicrafts - are displayed alongside contemporary pieces. So it shows these exotic places with living, breathing dynamic cultures. This was especially striking in the exhibit dedicated to Native American art, since this exotic culture exists in our own country, which we sometimes forget. At least I do.
3 - Funky post-industrial yard art. What a delightful surprise. As we stepped off the ferry and started to walk into town, we came across an old stable - its yard crammed with funny and funky creatures. Birds and beasts made out of thingamajigs and dohickeys and other industrial whatnot. "Come inside" invited a hand-written sign, thus opening up a fantastical world of creative whimsy. I took some photos on my phone but I'm embarassed to admit that I don't know how to transfer them to the computer. You'll have to check it out yourself when you go to Salem: you can't miss it as you exit the ferry.
Photos courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum.

No comments: