Monday, August 3, 2009

Dee-troit Dee-lights

Somerville, Mass - As a follow-up to my previous post, here are some great things about Detroit that you probably didn't know about - unless you are from Detroit yourself. One for each day I spent in the Motor City.

National Coney Island - Oh, Coney, how I love thee. And not only sitting at the counter and sucking down chilli dogs and thick chocolate shakes, but also my many sweet memories of the summer of 1990. How frightening that that was 20 years ago that I worked the counter at Moross & Mack, but it still feels like home.

The Brothers Groove - I mention this funky fusion jazz group because I went to high school with the keyboardist, Chris Codish (and because they are awesome), but it is only one of many groups to come out of Detroit. It's hard to deny that Detroit still has one of the country's best music scenes. Rock on, Motown!

MOCAD - Many native Detroiters don't even know about the newish Museum of Contemporary Art of Detroit. It's not a big place, but it's in a cool recycled building that was converted from an old car dealership. The front is covered with graffiti, complete with graffiti artist.

Lake St Clair - Technically, Detroit is not on the lake, but its eastside suburbs are. It may not be a Great Lake, but it is a great lake. I spent so many summer days floating on a raft on her gentle waters - so many summer nights sneaking out for a midnight dip. I get homesick everyday the temperatures in Somerville goes above 80 degrees (like today).

  

No comments: