Tuesday, December 8, 2009

VMC Day 6

Posted retrospectively.

Shelburne, Mass - Practicers of Vipassana meditation become so attuned to the sensations in the body, that they begin to feel the constant flow of energy that is coursing through our bodies at every moment. This is what happened to me today at VMC.

On Day 5, we continued to practice the technique, scanning the body from head to toe, head to toe. On Day 6, we changed things up by scanning the body first from head to toe, then backwards from toe to head. Head to toe, toe to head. (Best if recited in a thick Indian accent, this little mantra continues to resonate in my head days after the retreat ended.)

At some point, I started to feel a strong wave of vibrations that was following my focal point. Before I knew it, I couldn't even concentrate on a particular part of my body, as the vibrations seemed to be flowing through me uncontrollably, causing my muscles to contract and relax as the wave passed through. I didn't really feel it in my legs and feet, but the core of my body - from shoulders down to my butt - felt like a towel that was rippling slow-mo in the breeze, as if being gently shaken to remove the sand after a day at the beach. My hands and fingers would get hot and tingly. And my face would buzz with light vibrations moving from the crown of my head down to my chin and back.

It felt sort of like getting an all-over-body rub-down with a vibrating massager (or at least what I imagine that might feel like).

So, yeah, it felt pretty good, although I was slightly freaked out by the way the sensations were so strong and so involuntary. I even continued to experience the after affects when I was lying in bed later that night - at one point being awoken from a sound sleep by this rush of energy going through my body.

It was only after these sensations started that Goenka mentioned that we might start to feel "a flow of subtle uniform sensations." So I wasn't making it up.  This is what was supposed to be happening. My awareness had become so attuned that I was feeling the movement of the "mass of bubbles" that actually makes up my being. I have to admit that this was a very cool experience - especially to think that this movement is taking place all the time, but we are normally oblivious.

Goenka constantly reminded us to refrain from developing any attachment to or expectation for these sensations, because they would not last forever. Just like the pains and strains, itches and twitches, the good vibrations would also pass.

This was a bit of a relief for me. While the sensations were pleasant - and they certainly kept my attention wrapt - it was also overwhelming, especially this feeling that I had no control over it. But I tried to refrain from reacting, and instead observed - with fascination - the party that was going on in my body.

No comments: